1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dick Allen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think Allen played in the Old-Timers game at the 1991 All-Star Game in Toronto. I was there with my father and when Allen came up my father said when the Blue Jays came into the league, he predicted Allen would be the first to hit a ball out of Exhibition Stadium.

I had never seen Allen play before that Old-Timers Game but that always stuck with me.

2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

For those of us too young to remember his career, was it really just reputation that kept him out of the Hall of Fame? The writers didn't like him?
    That's certainly what I've been led to believe, but it seems awfully simplistic.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Look up “-Petty Little Bitch” in the dictionary. And Baseball Writer is first, followed by Jan Brady

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

He had statistics that were not appreciated in his “time.”

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Dick Allen on artificial turf: “If a horse can’t eat it I don’t want to play on it.”

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Iconic photo. It was in Life magazine IIRC. Suffice it to say that most of white Philadelphia didn't WANT a Jackie Robinson, and that Allen had no interest in playing that role. He was an individualist. On the other hand, there was the night he came back to the '76 Phillies, hit two homers at the Vet and got like four standing ovations. People change, even in Philly.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Found this on Facebook:
    Both Richie Allen and Rogelio Moret died today. In 1974, Moret threw a one hit shutout, and his no hit bid was broken up in the 7th inning by...Richie Allen.

I Should Coco, CD Boogie and HanSenSE like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate that Jackie Robinson comparison. That photo is from 1969. It doesn't relate to Jackie Robinson inetgrating baseball in 1947.

The Phillies obviously had a number of black players by 1969, none of whom were Jackie Robinson either. The difference was that Allen was unhappy, he wanted out of there, and he got petulant with his gripes, including writing things in the dirt which then became a thing.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

His last one was "MOM" on the grounds nobody would boo that.

Draft saved Draft deleted