1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dick Allen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Passed away this afternoon.

Stupid hall of fame voters.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Former Rookie of the Year, MVP, and future HOFer. Screwed over by MLB for many years.

maumann likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Glad they postponed the Veterans Vote -- it would have been done over the weekend

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

He lived in Wampum. Trivia: Which major leaguer actually had " Wampum" as his jersey name for a time?*

("Wampum" was a supposed Native American term for money.)

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Had Hall of Fame sideburns as well.

Interesting trivia: Was the player the Phillies swapped for Curt Flood, who refused the deal and led to the landmark reserve clause suit. Was traded by the Dodgers for Tommy John. And also played for the A's.

misterbc and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wore "Wampum 60" on his uniform back with some of those very-forgettable A's teams in the last years of Charles O. Finley's ownership.

garrow likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Should have been in the Hall years ago. And now they'll probably vote him in, which is a day late and a wampum short.

maumann likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I was in Trenton I found out the mayor's favorite player ever was Dick Allen and whenever Doug Palmer came into the newsroom I'd start a chat about Dick which always made Doug smile even though he didn't know me from Adam. Doug played baseball in college. For years after I left Trenton I'd text Doug any kind of interesting news about Allen and pitched the idea of Doug using his clout to bring Dick to Trenton for a weekend to give a few baseball clinics to Trenton Little Leaguers and perhaps impart wisdom about life and fairness thru the lens of not being elected to the Hall of Fame despite his credentials. I really wanted that to happen.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My teen sports hero. This is just awful. Certainly hit by far the longest homers I ever saw in three different ballparks, Oakland Coliseum, old Connie Mack in Philly and Fenway.

maumann and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

RIP

[​IMG]

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted