1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dennis Hopper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, May 29, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True Romance

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

1. I always thought River Edge was a. a great movie, and b. a great sorta lost Dennis Hopper moment.

2. The other night a local station that occasionally unearths b-movie trash aired Night Tide.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055230/

Look at that tagline. Temptress from the sea...loving...killing!

If he were just starting out, it would have been understandable that he did crap like this. In fact he had already been pretty well established by '61. (27 credits according to imdb, including Giant, Rebel) He almost had been run out of Hollywood. I can't tell how chea/unspeakably bad Night Tide was.

RIP man

o-<

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I love the scene Mizzou posted - one of my five favourite scenes ever. My buddies and I had numerous drunken arguments about why Hopper's character started on that rant, considering who he was talking to. The debate centred around when Hopper knew he was a dead man - at the beginning of the scene (when Walken told him he was the antichrist), or when Walken told him he knew he was lying.

I always figured it was the latter. Hopper knew if he told the truth he'd be signing his son's death warrant, so he figured he'd take the bullet for him and went out in style with the Moores rant.

My love for that movie is admittedly irrational.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He wanted to be killed without telling where his son was. Which worked except for the note on the fridge which was discovered post-mortem.

5. Sea Bass

I always wondered what became of his dog Rommel.

6. very true. Keanu Reeves' high point as well, essentially playing himself.
    Thought Hopper's performance was wonderfully understated, a version of himself.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Two of my favorite scenes ever are in that movie. The Walken-Hopper one and Slater and Gary Oldman (He must have thought it was White Boy Day) which was a line that was thrown around my fraternity house just about anybody made a jackass out of themself.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

RIP Dennis Hopper.
    Giant is one of my favorite older films.
    And I've got the original Easy Rider soundtrack album, which is pretty cool.
    The backside of the sleeve shows Jack Nicholson in his letter sweater, at the campfire, smoking a doobie.

9. Sea Bass

Any of the scenes with Brad Pitt were pretty fucking funny too. Particularly the last one, when he's stoned out of his mind and the greaseballs bust in with shotguns.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

NPR just teased an interview with Robert Duvall, and for the first time in the past week I realized that in my mind I've been confusing Duvall and Dennis Hopper since Hopper's death, thinking that Hopper was the guy in Crazy Heart, Godfather, The Apostle, etc. RIP Hopper, but glad Duvall is still around.

Draft saved Draft deleted