1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Denis Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by clintrichardson, May 26, 2017.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Award-winning author Denis Johnson dies at age 67

Jesus' Son is a recognized fiction masterpiece, and I would also recommend Seek, a collection of non-fiction short pieces. He wote a first-person story on going to hippie festival in Oregon that is pure gold, and also has the best rendering of the feeling of being high that I've come across in print.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll admit. I saw the thread title and thought it was Dennis Johnson, the basketball player. Is it a big gap in my knowledge that I don't know this guy's work at all?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You may have a gap in your basketball knowledge. DJ the former Celtic basketball player died 10 years ago.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I also thought it was the basketball player, but I knew he died. Fun fact: I dated a girl in college whose mother had a preschool carpool arrangement with Dennis Johnson and his daughter. My girlfriend and her mother had no idea who he was, just knew he was the guy who took the girls to school a few days a week.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I remember that now that you reminded me. He was coaching somewhere and had a heart attack.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

RIP. Jesus' Son is fantastic. I still marvel at how well it came together as a movie, too.

clintrichardson likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Great writer. That he made it to 67....

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Today is the 30th anniversary of ...

exmediahack likes this.
  9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I have the same gap. I forgot he died. I also had to look up Derrick Coleman to see if he is still alive because I couldn't remember. (He is.)

Draft saved Draft deleted