1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dean "The Dream" Meminger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Aug 23, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/former-marquette-star-dean-the-dream-meminger-dead-at-65-b9982749z1-220890331.html

One of the best in a long line of Al McGuire's players at Marquette. You couldn't play zone against Marquette because Meminger would keep dropping in 21-footers.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

They didn't call him the Dream for nothing. RIP and condolences to his son who is broadcaster.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember Meminger stepping up big time in 1973 when the Knicks beat the Celtics. I think he scored 25 in Game 7. In a sound clip, he said Holtzman told him if he had an open shot to take it.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But he never hit a 3-point basket. :)

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry, old tony, but either your memory has soured or you weren't digesting what yu were seeing 'cause dean's primary weakness was he couldnt hit a jumper for shit. i loved him as the guy who spelled frazier and the pearl and he was a terrific defender and okay ball-handler but shooting 21 footers? nope. he was an awful foul shooter for a guard -- never more than 66 percent and most of his scoring was done slashing to the hoop ore even sneaking into the land of bigs to put back an offensive rebound. and red encouraged him to shoot at ties 'cause the opposing defense gave meminger all the jumpers he wanted and back off him to help defend passes into the post. heck, if meminger could darin jumpers e would've been a star-calibre guard instead of a sixth man type,

r.i.p.. dean meminger, and thanks for the memories, which were many -- they just didn't include shooting.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

He averaged 21.2 points as a senior in 1970-71, and is 13th on Marquette's all-time scoring list with 1,637 points.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree with Shock. Never thought of DTD as a pure shooter. He was very quick off the dribble and could penetrate.
    Could hit the 21 footer but again not a pure shooter. Been a long time but it seemed like his jumper was not soft
    and always clanged the rim. Either way a great overll player. RIP

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

amazing how memories grow out of proportion the mote the years go oon; i know -- i fall victim to this at times. too. but the fact is dean played a key role in that game, pin helping torture jojo white into another awful game (only towards the end of his career did white shoot away his 'choker' rep. dean, replacing monroe in the second period, bottled him up most of the game. while dean 'exploded' not for 25 points but for a modest (but high for him) 13 points. he couldnt pick up the slack for pearl on offensive end (averaged a measly 6.1 ppg for his career) but made up for it by staying in jojo's shorts defensively. white was a streak shooter who needed space to get off effective shots. meminger gave him no space. it was beauiful. earl went on to have an awesome finals...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/sports/basketball/dean-meminger-who-helped-knicks-to-a-title-dies-at-65.html?ref=sports

Draft saved Draft deleted