1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dean Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Feb 8, 2015.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

See, we always knew Dean was a cheater! Once a cheater, always a cheater!

Signed,

Every Wolfpack fan, ever.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, and you can take a nice digital photo of the check itself, before cashing it.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The student athlete for life quote is from a ruling involving Roy Williams of all people. There were some boosters who wanted to buy suits for former players who were going to go through the graduation ceremony and he told them it was OK. There was a very light reprimand.

It would be ridiculous from a practical and PR standpoint for the NCAA to say a negative word about this. But of course no more ridiculous than punishing Utah for a $8 sandwich while Keith Van Horn waited for a plane to his father's funeral.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think it's a pretty slick idea even if you aren't a millionaire Hall of Fame coach. Assuming you are fortunate enough to live past the point where your spouse and kids are dependent on whatever $ you can leave them -- if you die in your 70s or later, for instance -- that would be a pretty cool thing to do for 5 dear friends/family. Or 10. Or 20. Carve a few grand out of your estate and treat people to a nice night of memories, all from the great beyond.

Junior's only going to blow it on weed and hookers anyway.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Or deposit it remotely with the app on your phone and, boom, you got $200 and the Dean Smith check.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Great point. I only learned of that app over the past few days.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have a great grandmother I barely knew who left money and instructions to give all descendants $5 and a lotto scratch off every year.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now THAT'S a legacy!

Draft saved Draft deleted