1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dean Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Feb 8, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was great of Dean.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is pretty great. The idea of a $200 check arriving for Michael Jordan is pretty humorous.

Also, as a tangent, Dante Calabria had to have gotten more tail than anyone in the history of the University of North Carolina.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I would expect a lot of his players to frame it instead of cashing it.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Probably so. Would be interesting to re-visit in a few months to find out how many were actually cashed.

There's no telling what kind of financial shape some of those guys are in, especially the old-timers. But I suspect many of those who do actually cash the checks will put the money to good use, like give it their grandkids or donate it to charity.

Would be kind of funny if word got out that someone like Jordan or Rasheed Wallace cashed it and pocketed the money.

5. Vombatus

Jordan could lose it on a dumb bet in an instant. Two hundred says the kid eats it!

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It'll be a huge pain in the ass for his estate if they don't cash it.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Rasheed Wallace wonders if he can covert his $200 into $250 of Deja Vu Dollars, especially on 2-for-1 lap dance Sunday.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It technically is an NCAA violation because the NCAA has ruled that a player is a "student athlete for life," thus gifts even years after eligibility is up is a no go. So knowing how idiotic the NCAA is I'm fully expecting it to reprimand UNC and demand an apology for the will while continuing to ignore the academic fraud.

9. Vombatus

I wish you were kidding, but I know you are not.

How can the NCAA be eliminated? Maybe Amnesty International? Or Homeland Security? Surely the NCAA commits acts against humanity.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? That's not a real thing, is it? How can that possibly be policed?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Frame the receipt and the letter.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Right. Dean's wish was for the player to take the money and have a nice dinner out. Out of respect for the old coach, that's what you do.

Draft saved Draft deleted