1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dean Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Feb 8, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only man two people who could hold Jordan under 20 are Dakich and Snith. I'm doubting Dakich was not there.

No way do you bring up any bad UNC stuff. No way.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are nuts to even mention Smith with Calipari.

Mitchell Wiggins would have played for Cal.

3. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

The pedophilia scandal in the Catholic Church absolutely was mentioned in Pope John Paul II's obituary. As it should have been.

Obituary: Pope John Paul II | World news | The Guardian

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For all the crap Deano got and gets for the four-corners, UNC under his tutelage was almost always among the top offensive teams in the nation.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Although it's an unspeakable irony that Smith's steel trap of a mind and memory withered under dementia, the one good thing is that the condition prevented him from realizing both the academic scandal and the appalling assault on the whole UNC System that has taken place for political reasons in the past two years. It would be fine by me if the governor of the state, a tool and puppet of a virulent opponents of education in general, just sat this one out and didn't show up for the memorial service. He and his cronies won't like the causes the family has named. They dare speak of helping the poor. And of educating them. The puppetmaster, who recently forced out the President of the UNC System for purely political reasons, has gone on record as saying the only think tanks and centers affiliated with state universities should be those that study "free-market principles" and "liberty." Those studying poverty or -- heaven forbid -- matters of racial and social justice should be shuttered. This is why I have been so heartened the past 24 hours to read tributes that mentioned Smith's advocacy for causes that were unpopular in a state that continually re-elected the racist demagogue Jesse Helms. It's important for people to hear these stories so they know when to call bull on elected officials who praise Smith in death but hated everything of consequence that he really stood for.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sally Jenkins told a great story about Smith and Mitch Kupchak on the Tony Kornheiser radio show yesterday:

Like a lot of Smith's former players, Kupchak went to Smith for advice in his personal life — taking a job, buying a house, getting married, etc. He once told Smith about the woman he was dating, but that she said she wanted a ring or she was going to break up with him. Smith advised him to break things off, so Kupchak did.

Years later, Smith asked Kupchak "what ever happened to that woman you were seeing back then?"

Kupchak said "her name was Sharon Stone."

Tamon Honda likes this.
  8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Dean Smith RIP thread has 30 posts in 4 days.

The Tark RIP thread looks like it will hit 30 posts in less than 4 hours.

And another UNC related RIP, Stuart Scott, went 130 posts.

Just an observation I found interesting. Would have probably expected Dean Smith's death to carry more weight than it has here.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's not that interesting compared to Tarkanian, to be honest.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Dean Smith was an iconic coach; it's just that he wasn't quite the polarizing figure that Tarkanian was, therefore more reaction. For example, when the time comes for Bobby Knight, the RIP thread will blow up big time.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'd beg to differ, but I'm biased. Both are great coaches. Dean Smith was a better man than he was a coach. His influence off the court was as large as the innovations on the court that are credited to him.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. You'll get no disagreement from me on any of that.

But it's just not all that interesting. He won big at a school that wins big. His players loved him. What more is there to say? Villains are more interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted