1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dean Chance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Oct 11, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Cy Young Award winner in 1964 (back when there was only one awarded for all of MLB) and one of the first stars for the Angels franchise dies at 74.

Dean Chance, former Angel, Twin, Tiger, dies

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1964 was a great year for pitchers, but Chance was especially awesome that year.

And he was a stud in the original version of Earl Weaver Baseball.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Cy Young winner, two-time 20-game winner ... and he roomed with Bo Belinsky. That was quite an eventful career.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He also pitched two no-hitters in the same month for the Twins in 1967, though one was a five-inning perfect game that was later declassified as an official no-no by MLB.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that last one brought the most joy to his life.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In that Angels Hall of Fame ceremony, he looked like shit (as you can see), but his speech was pretty good and he seemed OK. Wonder what happened. Glad he got the recognition from the Angels that he deserved while he was alive to enjoy it. One helluva pitcher.

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

From his bio on the SABR website: "Chance said of Belinsky, 'Nobody made it with girls the way Bo did. I never learned his secret, but I enjoyed trying.'"

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

RIP. Dean Chance was an awesome pitcher. He turned his back to the plate in his wind-up (maybe in a little less flamboyant way than Luis Tiant and, later, El Duque) but enough to hide the ball and mess with hitters. He only pitched until he was 30, though. I always wonder if he could have been a Hall-of-Fame pitcher if not for the shoulder injury (something that would have been surgically repaired these days) and the years of carousing with Bo Belinsky.

Bo and Dean: A Lifetime of Fun and Friendship | SABR

Draft saved Draft deleted