1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Stern

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

With no positive updates, kinda knew this was coming. RIP.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

God, this sucks. So so glad I made the decision to go and speak to him in person in November. He had so much energy and was so upbeat and he didn’t know me from Adam.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A legend passes.

We all have our conspiracy thoughts with his tenure but Stern’s impact is forever felt on the association.

Liut and maumann like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The man left an indelible impact on the entire sports world. RIP

wicked likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There was never, and never will be again, a better sports promo than this. It was Stern at his height of excellence.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The man did a fantastic job. The way the NBA made strides in the 80s. The marketing of stars. It seemed like Magic’s Lakers and Bird’s Celtics played each other 20 times during the regular season with the double headers. And then along came Jordan and the Bad Boys. Stern was a helluva ring master.

playthrough, wicked and qtlaw like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As much as his impact was known in the states - his greatest legacy is the game's growth overseas. How many international players were in the league in the '80s? How many are there now? The NBA is probably second only to the EPL in terms of global importance.

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah he was a lawyer, but I respected him so much because he brought dignity to the NBA. He showed the owners how to be big time and the guys settling for billions owe a great deal to Stern. May he RIP.

exmediahack and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

During my second year of law school, I interviewed for a job at his old firm. I meet with one of the partners who did NBA work, I mention that I would do anything to work on it and he says to me “you’re the 5th Jewish kid from New York I’ve met this week who thinks he’s going to be the next David Stern. Trust me, you will not.”

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Stern took a league whose owners were predisposed to think small and got them to think big. Bird, Magic and Dr. J. were there when he became commissioner but he knew how to package stars, which the league never did until he showed up.

Liut, Tweener, Baron Scicluna and 3 others like this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

RIP

The NBA of the 1980s might be my favorite era of any league in my lifetime. That’s because if him.

He also said one of my favorite quotes of all time; this was after the Artest brawl in Detroit.

Question: Liz Robbins, New York Times. Can you discuss how the decision came about to suspend Ron Artest for the entire season. Was that unanimous? And can you discuss why?

Commissioner Stern: It was unanimous: 1-0.

https://americanrhetoric.com/speeches/davidsternpressconference.htm

cyclingwriter2, Liut, Batman and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted