1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Poole

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Apr 28, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

It was a tough weekend to work.

Poole could be exceptionally difficult to be around, but he was One Of Us.

We lost a colleague and a competitor, someone who always wanted the right thing to happen, even if his idea of the right thing was different than most folks believed.

It sucked realizing he truly is gone.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

His blog is on my favorites list and one that I clicked automatically every morning. I haven't broken that habit and don't have the heart to delete it yet from favorites. It's a weird 21st-century way to miss someone -- no new blog posts. It's like he's ranting about Talladega forever, which for a motorsports writer is actually kind of cool.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, he's still logged in on my AIM window. His widow wrote me this morning, saying she was trying to figure out who all was on his friends list. She's also updated his Facebook page at least once to thank everyone.

Just weird to see him sitting there in my IM window, but I can't bring myself to defriend him.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I had a friend pass away a year and a half ago, and I still have his number in my cell phone. It's nice to catch a glimpse of his name when I scroll through sometimes and think of some of the good times we had.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why would you defriend him? No snark in that, I'm seriously curious. I've never considered defriending him.

6. imjustagirl

It's not slightly odd to have your IM up 24 hours a day and see his name there staring at you?

It is to me. And I'm not alone. Not odd enough to have me defriend him, as I said, but it's definitely a little unsettling.

7. Moderator1

Well, perhaps if I had my IM up 24 hours a day I'd feel differently.
    I do not and I do not.

David and I weren't close. I didn't travel the racing circuit after he started writing. We had a friendly, cordial relationship and, I think, a respectful one. We didn't agree on everything. Who did with David? I enjoyed the conversations I had with him, on here and the times I would run into him at a track. As others have said, he's a terrific example of what a journalist should be. And a good guy, despite his sometimes crankiness.

I was pleased and honored to get a friend request for him and hope he's always on my friends list.

I don't do IM so I can't speak to that.

8. imjustagirl

Oh, I'm definitely not talking about Facebook.

9. Moderator1

Oh, my bad.

10. imjustagirl

Though I told Katy yesterday I took a little pride in my AIM handle (which includes my duke fandom) being on the friends list of Poole, a UNC graduate and life-long fan. Hell, he's probably glad to be closer to that Carolina blue sky now.

Draft saved Draft deleted