1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Poole

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Apr 28, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know the man, but if one of the best people I know personally on here says good things about him, he must have been great.

RIP.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have no idea how much this just made me laugh. After that video became viral on youtube (the one with the redneck family watching Vickers spin Johnson and Earnhardt), that line: "Gunnar, put your legbrace on" became Poole's line of the day. We were in Miami for the finale when someone mentioned it, and it took over the media center that day. When Poole signed out for the night, his last words in the media center were "Utter, put your legbrace on" to his coworker, Jim Utter.

(NSFW for language and abject redneckitude)

Side note I forgot to mention in my first post: In that interview with Stewart, we spent probably 10 minutes talking about David. David and Tony would butt heads, but they each honestly cared about the other. Tony and I talked about David's health, and how we both hoped he'd get in better shape so he could watch Eli grow up. Tony used to joke about the "all-eating team" and I think it was meant in a more mean-spirited way toward others, but it was always a love thing toward Poole.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And now I know what IJAG's Facebook status was all about earlier.

RIP to a great writer.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I am floored.

RIP.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

A terrible tragedy. RIP, and my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and past and present colleagues.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I only knew David Poole from his posts here, particularly those on the J Board. Well worth another read.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/members/6244/;sa=showPosts

RIP, and deepest condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh. My. Goodness.

RIP David. I didn't have the good fortune to meet the man, but we've lost a giant among NASCAR writers, sports journalism and humanity. Wow.

8. justanotherwannabe

justanotherwannabe New Member

I was shocked and saddened to hear the news about David's passing ... Having worked with him at several tracks, I was always treated as an equal even though I wasn't at every race or inside the sport as he truly was. He will be missed greatly by the readers searching for insight on their favorite drivers, but even more so by all of us whom could only sit in awe as he extracted information from drivers that no one else could. David was a true professional in every aspect.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

:'(

This sucks.

ESPN led Nascar Now with this.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They're dedicating most of the show. However, I say this in all sincerity: Poole is screaming from wherever he is that Newton was giving part of his eulogy there.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

“The NASCAR community is stunned and saddened by the loss of David Poole. David was as passionate about NASCAR as anyone and had very definitive opinions about the sport. He served the industry, and most importantly the fans, through his reporting and commentary in the Charlotte Observer and Sirius Satellite Radio. Our thoughts and prayers go out to David’s family and friends. He will be missed.” -- NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France

(I'm not sure anyone in charge would even comment on my passing, other than to wonder if I filed by deadline.)

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OMG! No.... :(

Draft saved Draft deleted