1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Poole

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Apr 28, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I met David at the NHRA event in Indy last year; Charlotte was about to host its first drag race so they sent him to Indy to check it out and explain the sport to a new audience. It was new to David too, he genuinely enjoyed it and asked a ton of questions. That was really cool to see for a man who was such a veteran in his regular beat. Friends told me he didn't stop talking about it for weeks.

Read his commentary/blog entry on Talladega. The man pulled no punches. Irreplaceable.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

David was a big man, both in reputation and in stature.

He was certainly an imposing figure in the media center, in many ways. I liked him best for the way he was able to cut through the crap that pervades most media availabilities and ask insightful, probing questions that actually required a driver to think and respond intelligently, rather than spew corporate/sponsor speak.

When David spoke, everyone listened. He could be gruff, he could be argumentative, but when it came to his opinions, he was almost always spot-on right. His piece on Talladega is a perfect example of that.

We both recently turned 50, and one of our last conversations was about that. He died way too soon. If there's a lesson to be learned, always be mindful of your health. You owe it to your family and friends to be around as long as possible.

Our profession lost a great one today.

My thoughts and prayers to his family.

-- Mark

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

His last blog entry yesterday.

http://turn-lane.blogspot.com/

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Sent a couple of stories, came up for air, and saw all of y'all's Facebook updates. Stunning. Never fortunate enough to meet Mr. Poole, didn't really know him except through here, but he seemed like a great guy.

Moddy, IJAG, kleeda, and others who did know him well -- my thoughts are with you today, as well as with his family and other friends.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Dammit, what a loss. RIP to Mr. Poole, wishing the best for those that knew him way better than I did.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

In the SportsJournalists.com fantasy-golf league, his team -- Gunnar's Legbracers -- is in first place in the spring segment of the season after finishing 13th in the winter segment. He was no doubt on his way to contending for the league title.

8. Terrible news. RIP.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wow.

Met him once...

RIP David, and Godspeed to your family and friends.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sharing a press room with David once a year at Loudon was one of my favorite professional and personal experiences. This is just devastating news, and an irreplacable loss to sportswriting.
    My condolences and prayers to his family and other loved ones. My condolences for my former trade, as well.

11. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I didn't know David on a personal level, but I shared press boxes/media centers with him numerous times at Martinsville and Daytona. I always got a chuckle when he and Jeff Burton would get off on their UNC/Duke tangents during a press conference.

I'm stunned. NASCAR, its fans and the industry truly lost a great journalist. RIP. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

An obvious friend of many SportsJournalists.comers.

Condolences to all who knew him and to his family

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted