1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Poole

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Apr 28, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

David Poole, motorsports writer for the Charlotte Observer, died today of an apparent heart attack.

Say a prayer. One of the good ones in our business.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ummm. Wow. I don't know what to say. Can't say I knew him personally, but I always enjoyed his ability to cut through some of the NASCAR bullshit.

RIP David.

3. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh no. Thoughts and prayers with his family. How awful.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I saw a friend's posting on Facebook sending condolences to the Poole family, and then I saw this thread. Wow, sad news.

The lead story on That's Racin', the last time I looked a little while ago, was a story by him.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Not enough words to explain how I feel right now.

RIP, you wonderful journalist and unrepentant cantankerous bastard.

You will be missed.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Respects.

RIP

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, how I never wanted to have to type those words.

Motorsports media in this country lost a giant today. Beyond that, they lost a friend. Poole was loud, boisterous, and never met an argument he didn't want to have. Usually repeatedly. He'd throw his hands up in fake (sometimes real) consternation, but he'd always talk about it. He loved racing. Loved it. And the people in racing loved David, even though he was rarely afraid to take anyone on.

Taking it personal for a moment, I was just a know-nothing cub sent out to cover NASCAR. Poole was so nice to me, so kind, so willing to answer any of my stupid questions with more than a surface answer. A few years ago, we were in the Daytona media center for the Budweiser Shootout and Benny Parsons said "Oh, MAAAAAN!" at something during the race. Poole and I repeated it at the same time, and we would greet each other with that at random times whenever we'd see each other. Hard to believe they're both gone.

I will remember sitting next to Poole at the media tour before last season, when I had a one-on-one with Tony Stewart scheduled for the next day. I'd never had much face contact with Stewart, had always just been one in the scrum. Poole walked me through the best ways to get in with him, to lead with Barrett-Jackson to get him to start talking. It worked, and within 30 minutes I was fiddling with Stewart's cell phone and we were talking about god knows what.

Poole was the one who told me that Tom Roberts was supposed to be on Kulwicki's plane. Poole was the one who explained so much to me, and who could make me laugh with one of his famous rants.

The pride of his life, however, was his grandson Eli. I used to tell him that dressing Eli up in UNC clothing was child abuse, and he'd just take some stab at Duke and we'd laugh.

Pooleo, you were a friend, and a mentor, and a kind, loving man. You were a blessing to all who knew you. Rest easy, my friend. I love you.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wow. Damn. RIP.

10. jps

jps Active Member

sorry, ijag. prayers out for family and friends. didn't know him but pretty sure he was the one with the sirius show, right? heard that before and enjoyed it and thought he seemed to be a great guy.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Terrible news. Well said, IJAG.

Thoughts go out to his family and everyone who knew him.

12. So sorry, IJAG.
    As they say in the auld country.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there... I do not sleep.
    I am the thousand winds that blow...
    I am the diamond glints on snow...
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain...
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you waken in the morning's hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of gentle birds in circling flight...
    I am the soft star that shines at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry—
    I am not there... I did not die...

Draft saved Draft deleted