1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Pearson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A great racer. RIP.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's right. Petty and Pearson also finished an astonishing 1-2 a total of 63 different times in races.

Moderator1 and Michael_ Gee like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Amazing stat.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

There are some who say that Pearson was the better driver he just lacked Perry’s charisma.

6. Moderator1

I wonder if anyone will get 100 - I don't see it. I think Jimmie Johnson needs 16 or 17. Does he have that long? Kyle Busch is halfway there.

Gordon is the only other driver above 90 but there are a bunch in the 80s. One of them is NOT Dale Earnhardt Sr.

I'm so old I actually covered Petty's 200th at the 1984 Firecracker 400. Never saw Pearson win a race.

Liut likes this.
  7. Moderator1

(and somewhere Gene Granger screams IT WAS 199! IT WAS 199!!)

8. Michael_ Gee

I think Johnson retires pretty soon. Shrub (IJAG tribute) would be my pick to make it.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Busch has 51 and Harvick is not far behind at 45. Next closest is Denny Hamlin at 31 and Kurt Busch at 30.
    Even for Busch and Harvick that's, what, another 8-10 years minimum of excellence to get to 100? Busch is 33 years old and might get there. Harvick is already 42 and drivers tend to hit a major drought somewhere around that age, as Jimmie Johnson is showing now and Gordon and Earnhardt Sr. showed before him.

One interesting thing to watch for next season, though, is Kyle Busch's pursuit of Petty's record for wins across all major national series. Petty won 201 (200 in Cup and one in the Convertible Series in 1959). Busch is at 194 in Cup, Xfinity and Trucks.
    Petty (201), Busch (194), Pearson (107), Harvick (106) and Bobby Allison (105) are the only ones with more than 100.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

RIP to The Silver Fox. My stepfather's favorite driver. Now he has a pal to discuss racing.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Busch running the lower series is a joke. He's won 51 of 145 truck starts, beating fields of mostly old guys holding on and young'uns just starting out, with equipment that's by far the best. He's feted as a racer's racer for that, but c'mon. Jimmie Johnson could have padded his win total over the years, but instead he's made a grand total of 22 starts in the lower series since becoming a full-time Cup driver.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Isn’t that one of the knocks on petty’s total to some extent? That he entered so many dinky races against cruddy fields of drivers?

Draft saved Draft deleted