1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Halberstam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Apr 23, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I tip my hat to you and my glass to him... may God bless

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

I was fortunate enough to work with him on several projects. He was a really good guy, and among the well known in the writing profession that I've had cause to interact with, no one was more genuine. He kept his home phone listed, gave of his time to younger writers (when he had the time and you had something to say), and didn't b.s. about what he thought. Could also be very funny and profane. LOVED reporting, and that underscored everything he did, and every bit of advice he gave out - you can never, ever ever report enough.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

RIP to one of the great ones.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am so sad to hear this news. I recently finished The Reckoning (posted about it on the Books Thread) and have The Children sitting on my table. I had the honor of speaking to him once, just after he finished The Children and he told me it was his best book yet. RIP to one of my favorite writers. Such sad, sad news.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Summer of '49" was one of the first baseball books I ever read, after it came out in 1989. It remains among my fondest. And here's some love for "October 1964".

RIP to a great writer.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If for no other reason than his resurrection of the work of WC Heinz, Mr. Halberstam will be very much mourned in this little household. A great reporter and a fine writer, he was also a terrific gentleman. That he had just come from speaking to another group of youngsters about the craft and value of the work we do is only fitting - he was a generous evangelist in the service of better journalism.

I have been extraordinarily lucky in my career, and such luck brought me into Mr. Halberstam's orbit on several occasions. He was unfailingly gracious and good-humored. He was patient in answering my questions about his work and about my own; was a candid, cheerful critic; and gave of himself and his time in a way that only a handful of those who reach the summit ever are.

He believed very deeply in the work we do, and in telling our stories as best we can.

Altogether a mensch, he is already missed.

7. Troy

Troy New Member

Definitely a tragic loss. RIP David Halberstam.

8. I may be alone in thinking that The Fifties was the most enjoyable of his books.

My first book by Halberstam was The Best and Brightest. I picked it up because I thought it was about JFK - but it really was about Vietnam. Very enlightening stuff.

I would hope that ESPN would open up his Page 2 archive to fans without Insider status but there's no way ESPN would have the decency to do that.

And so it goes.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Feinstein on ESPN Radio discussing Halberstam right now. RIP.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This was a subject line that made me gasp and cover my mouth with my hand.

As has already been said, he's one of my inspirations. RIP.

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Damn. That's terrible. All that was said above, and, for chrissake, the guy even wrote the probably best-ever book about crew (The Amateurs).

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll never forget the incredible LIFE magazine story about the death of his brother, Michael, at the hands of a robber about 25 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted