1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Halberstam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Apr 23, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - David Halberstam, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author who chronicled the Washington press corps, the Vietnam War generation and baseball, was killed in a car crash early Monday, a coroner said. He was 73.

Halberstam, a New Yorker, was a passenger in a car that was broadsided by another vehicle near in Menlo Park, San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault said.

"Looking at the accident and examining him at the scene indicated it's most likely internal injuries," Foucrault said.

Three others were injured.

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

That really, really sucks. One of the biggest reasons I went into journalism was my admiration for his work.

3. What awful news. As someone said before, a giant.

RIP.

4. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Halberstam and Vonnegut. Same fucking month. Fuck.

5. God, what a blow.
    He spoke at my college, too. After the speech, he hung with us and argued about basketball, Then three of us drove him to the airport and he had trouble getting out of the car. He asked for help with his bag.
    "Get it yourself," my friend told him. "You won the fucking Pulitzer prize."
    He cracked up.
    A great, great man.
    RIP

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Awful, awful news.

7. Sly

Sly Active Member

I'm speechless ...

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't share the godlike awe many people hold for Halberstam, because his sports books were just shot through from cover to cover with egregrious screaming errors, but he was still a hell of a writer, and a very influential one, too.

R.I.P.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He must have saved a lot of cab fare through the years.

Once, when he was coming to Nashville after his NBA book came out, I picked him up at the airport.

(He was a Tennessean alumnus.)

I wrote a book review based on our conversation and later heard that he's liked it. Which, for a kid, seemed like a powerful affirmation.

RIP.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Great story, F_B.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Here's great book that chronicles what he and others went through covering Vietnam: Once Upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett--Young War Correspondents and Their Early Vietnam Battles

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not making light, but indeed, the driver of the car he was riding in in the AP story was identified as a grad journalism student at Cal.

Draft saved Draft deleted