1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Halberstam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. Albom doesn't do ironic. He does earnest. And thesaurus.

2. "His hair was silver but his words were golden."?

Man, that's hackerific.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think you and I have found common ground, then.

My point was that the word wasn't "wrong."

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Shut the FUCK up.

Another board conscience weighs in.

Chrissakes.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Charges coming against student who was driving:

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/halberstams-driver-a-student-to-be/20070621205809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Would the student have been charged if it were anyone other than Halberstam in the passenger's seat?

Reading the accounts that I've read, it sounds like the kid may have been distracted in conversation with Halberstam. Poor judgment? You bet. Worthy of vehicular manslaughter? It's not gonna bring the guy back from the dead.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Apparently, from reading that, the kid's not really a stellar driver. Had a DUI in 1999, two accidents in the past two years, neither of which he was charged for.

They said his past record played a role. Not sure why, really, since I doubt any of us are innocent. But turning from a straight lane, not a turn lane, against a red light? With that history? Might be time to take a look...

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

DUI was when he was 18.

And if his record was such a concern, maybe his license should've been suspended before this.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, two minor accidents that don't lead to charges shouldn't lose a license I don't think. I rear-ended someone...glad I didn't lose my license.

But I think the gravity of this accident, both in how it happened and the cost of it, along with looking at a pattern, is a sign. Like if someone is charged with misdemeanors, then kills someone...their record plays a role in how they're charged. Same thing here.

11. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

The kid didn't mean to kill Mr. Halberstam and was possibly only trying to get the man to his interview without being too late.
    Tough break for the student, and he'll likely have to pay with misdemeanor charges and penalties, plus a big money fine to deceased's family.
    Kid is scarred for life.

Draft saved Draft deleted