1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Groh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 15, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

His two greatest roles:
    Rhoda's husband and Dr. Jacob Lowenstein

'Rhoda' star David Groh dies at 68

February 14, 2008

ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES — David Groh, the handsome, hardworking character actor who was best known to television viewers as the easygoing man Rhoda Morgenstern married and divorced during the run of Valerie Harper’s hit 1970s sitcom “Rhoda,” has died. He was 68.

Groh died Tuesday of kidney cancer at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his sister-in-law Catherine Mullally told the Associated Press on Thursday. Groh’s wife, Kristin Andersen, was by his side.

Divorce was not a subject generally addressed on television in the 1970s, and when Groh’s character, Joe Gerard, and Harper’s Rhoda Morgenstern split up during the show’s third season, viewers were stunned. Their marriage had resulted in one of the show’s highest-rated episodes, and when they split people sent them condolence cards.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080214/NEWS08/80214074

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He was also in another one of my favorites: The Stoned Age.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Man, at first read I thought it was the Foo Fighters guy. Glad that's not the case.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The downside (other than his death, of course) is that the last role he'll be remembered for is as the old guy being literally milked in that Sour Skittles commercial.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's what I thought at first, also. Then I saw he was 68. RIP old actor I've never heard of.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Clearly we have a generation gap around here. That's exactly what I thought.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Me too.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As a kid I think I was more freaked out about his character's divorce from Rhoda than seeing friend's parents split up.

He was a favorite Law and Order scumbag, Lowenstein and a freaky judge. RIP.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Oregon,

After the lawyers and the accused approach:

Judge Thayer (pleading): Walter ..
    Judge Schreiber: That's Judge Schreiber to you ... you know the drill etc

Just about my favorte scene from the peak of the series ... David Groh second best baddie (Dobson the best) ... in one year or so Arthur Gold and Judge Thayer RIP

Can't believe JudgeThayer got it on with Claire -- Jill H at her peak of her all-Canadian beauty -- not the best piece of ass he ever had but "the most expensive" ...

Believe judge's name was lifted from production team member.

YD&OHS, etc

11. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

How is Carlton the Doorman taking it?

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Sweet Jesus, I think my heart stopped there momentarily.

Draft saved Draft deleted