1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Carr

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I didn't always agree with him and not sure I liked him after reading his book, but I still read columns.

We are almost the same age, grew up near each other. Our social circles overlapped. We frequented some of the same bars. I have no memory of ever meeting him.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The outpouring of grief and emotion from his friends and colleagues last night was something.

He was admittedly not a good person for a number of years, but he appears to have been very popular with his colleagues, and in just an hour or so, I read of a number of examples of his generosity.

As a writer and reporter, he was admired by folks across the political spectrum.

3. YankeeFan

David Carr, A1:

[​IMG]

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm willing to concede them that indulgence.

5. YankeeFan

It wasn't a criticism.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a particularly nice thought when someone dies. ... but the last few years, when I'd see him do TV appearances, I was always thinking "That guy doesn't look very healthy."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ragu, when I saw this news pop up last night, I didn't know whether this was surprising news or something where he had terminal cancer or something that I'd forgotten about.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He seems to have not taken his second chance for granted.

9. YankeeFan

Yeah. I think it's a big part of why people are taking this so hard.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He was also the best writer out there who combined old school with new. He was a fierce defender of The Times, but was also passionate about the changing media world. Someone on Twitter noted that while talking about the famous clip of him going after the Vice guys. There he was the thundering mainstream media member, but he was never stuck in the past--one of his daughters now works for Vice too. You can see that influence on all levels from the range of tributes. You have Times lifers uttering the same type of words as Hamilton Nolan at Gawker.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted