1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Broder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Complications from pneumonia, age 81. What a legend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/09/AR2011030902821.html

Did anyone here know him? Wish I did.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I certainly read him and considered him somebody to look up to in my career. The survivor pool of the Golden Age of our business is only going to get smaller from here on.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Great (and now sad) line from Broder in Dave Kindred's book on the Post, on Broder walking out of an interview with Henry Kissinger after Kissinger refused to let him take notes:

'That's what I'd like on my tombstone: He walked out on Kissinger.'

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If only more people had thought that way.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Farewell, great guardian of official Washington.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The only word that should be on his tombstone is "legend."

RIP.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What in particular made the nasties unhappy?

8. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Yes, 21, knew him well. We shared the Post and baseball. A big Cubs fan. He worked at the Pantagraph in Bloomington, Illinois, 15 years ahead of me. Last time I saw him was Election Night in 2008, slight and trembling, working like a kid on deadline. When George Solomon hired me, he said, "I want you to be the sports department's David Broder." As if anyone could do that.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The only criticism I heard of Broder was that he was "too fair" to the other side.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Excerpt from Broder's 1973 Pulitzer Prize acceptance speech. Truer words have never been spoken:

"Instead of promising 'All the News That's Fit to Print', I would like to see us say - over and over, until the point has been made - that the newspaper that drops on your doorstep is a partial, hasty, incomplete, inevitably somewhat flawed and inaccurate rendering of some of the things we have heard about in the past twenty-four hours - distorted, despite our best efforts to eliminate gross bias, by the very process of compression that makes it possible for you to lift it from the doorstep and read it in about an hour. If we labeled the product accurately, then we could immediately add: But it's the best we could do under the circumstances, and we will be back tomorrow with a corrected and updated version."

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

That is simply tremendous.

RIP, Mr. Broder.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My wife always thought he was too right wing; her conservative brothers thought he was too left-wing.

Clearly, he was doing something right.

My favorite political writer will be missed.

Draft saved Draft deleted