1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Brenner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He was 78.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/comedian-david-brenner-tonight-favorite-dies

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At one time he was thought to be the guy who would replace Carson.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tai Babilonia back on the market.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My favorite David Brenner story:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/10/nyregion/doctor-defends-cocaine-treatments.html

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know if Brenner holds the record for guest hosting The Tonight Show during Johnny's many off days, but he'd got to be in the top two or three.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Always enjoyed his work. His, Cosby's, and Carlin's humor were always appreciated. Wish more of today's so-called "stand up comics" would be a little more like Brenner & co. He will be missed. Did not realize he was 78, though. Wow. RIP to yet another wonderful comic.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brenner, Leno, Shandling, Seinfeld ... all the comics I remember appearing on Carson so many times.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's strange to call him "underrated" but he's not mentioned nearly as enough as one of the best stand-ups ever.

I remember listening to "Excuse me sir, are you reading that paper" as a pretty young kid and just thinking it was hilarious.

He's also credited for being one of the first big guests to be a regular on Stern's show. I remember Stern saying he was immediately treated differently as soon as Brenner became a regular guest back in the early 80s.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Did he guest host? I don't remember him if he did. I know he was a guest, like, 140 times, though.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if Johnny had quit 5-10 years before he did (admittedly, a big if....) Brenner has a legitimate chance to get the job.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Always found him to be a very funny guy.

I subscribe to the Johnny Carson channel on YouTube and found this on my page yesterday:

For some reason, the joke I always remember from one of his Tonight Show gigs was when he was talking about a girl from the old neighborhood: "She was very vain ... she would sit in her room and brush her hair 100 times on the left ... then she did the other leg."

Draft saved Draft deleted