1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, David Bowie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 11, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Nirvana's cover of "Man Who Sold the World" is one of my favorite songs ever. The range of his musical output is amazing. Plus he starred in my young daughter's favorite movie, "Labyrinth." I will not be telling her the Goblin King is dead.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Saw this come across Twitter and enjoyed the story:
    [​IMG]

old_tony, Tweener and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. YankeeFan

David Bowie was just about the ultimate cool guy. Good looking. Great voice. A rock star. Famous for decades. Married a model.

Yet, one thing that's obvious from the outpouring on social media is that, because he never tried to fit in, he made every kid who grew up feeling different, feeling weird, who struggled with their sexuality or gender identity feel better about themselves. They felt connected to him. They felt like he got them.

The cool kids at their high school might not have accepted them, but the coolest guy on the planet related to them.

I Should Coco, Tweener, Dyno and 4 others like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I realize it's Queen's song too, but this will always be my favorite Bowie, and also one of the most sneaky beautiful, hopeful songs in rock.

Songbird likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I think Bowie's music is great, and as a pure artist, he is peerless. But I can't stand "Under Pressure."

7. YankeeFan

Sunshine prefers Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby!

Batman and Tweener like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've dreaded this thread since the beginning of SJ.

Fuck cancer.

If you have even a passing interest in music and art, please download Blackstar and listen to it, knowing that it was created by a man knowing he was near death. It's hauntingly beautiful.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Obviously, Rob Van Winkle ruined the song for me.

10. amraeder

Enjoying all the stories that are coming out, even if I have no idea if they're true or not. Could take on a Chuck Norris-ian feel by the end of the day, but....

[​IMG]

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. amraeder

My go-to Karaoke song!

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted