1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Wilson, Detroit News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MGoBlue, May 2, 2007.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Fellow SportsJournalists.comers,

For those who knew him, here's a link to Dave Wilson's obit, which ran in the Detroit News on May 2.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070502/OBITUARIES/705020391/1263

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

35 years old? That sucks.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Terrible news. RIP.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No shit... I worked with him in Ann Arbor.
    Damn... RIP bud...

5. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

How sad. Worked with Dave in Rochester.

Great at his job, great person. The Detroit News piece sums him up pretty well.

I can still picture him in his headset, rocking out to Kiss. And, I can still hear his laugh, and remember all his takes on WWE wrestling back in the day.

The biz lost a good one here.

6. blueview

blueview Member

RIP. I hate to see youngsters pass like that.

7. vin1284

vin1284 New Member

Beyond good guy. Always had a laugh and never a bad word to say about anybody. shocked the daylight outta me. Peace and love to his family and close friends, he was genuinely a good person

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn. note to journalists: stop dying. it's sad.

nothing about whether death was accidental, whether he was sick. it's none of my business but i'm always curious with someone so young.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

r.i.p. how sad.

anyone have any further details? had he been ill?

10. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

We're all still awaiting word, but we think he may have suffered a heart attack and died in his sleep.

There were more than a few nights that Dave and I put out the Ann Arbor News sports section back in the mid-90s. I can still hear him cussing out the agate page. And this was post-ATEX.

It was nice to read that he had become such a wordsmith. He was never really given a shot in Ann Arbor (mostly because it was a full staff), and we were all happy for him when he landed the job in Rochester. He even loved the lake effect snow there. What many people don't know about Dave was that he was an amateur meteorologist.

I'll miss IMing with him on a weekly basis. This one hits pretty hard.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too young -- isn't everybody? But 35 really is.

And, from all reports, a real good guy.

I'll crank up some KISS and Aerosmith for him tonight. Dream on.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just now seeing this ...

On the way back from the dentist today, Aerosmith's "What It Takes" came on the radio and I pumped it up and I sang loudly, and it was a lovely experience with the sunny blue sky. Been a while since I heard the song, and I felt insynch with it.

So that's to you, Dave, wherever you are in the great beyond. See ya there soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted