1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 17, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The former Astros and Cubs closer and a two-time NL All-Star, not the Retrosheet founder.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/12/17/sports/mlb/zc5ac81490792fe408825752300089ea2.txt

He was 53. Died of an apparent heart attack. Had alcoholism problems earlier this decade when he was the Padres pitching coach.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. I think I remember his playing career.

Sad. RIP.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He was a good one. Pitched in three postseasons for the Astros.

Most famous, I suppose, for allowing the Mets to score the game-tying run with two outs in the 9th of that epic NLCS Game 6 in 1986.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Also gave up the game-winning bomb to Dykstra in Game Three, if I recall correctly.

That's very sad. I remember reading about his alcoholism problems. RIP.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Dave Smith nearly caused an end of a friendship. In the early 90s, a group of us became huge Strato fanatics, and our cards were from the 1987 season (great year for homers, of course). One guy's team was pretty terrible and he eventually no longer cared. So every game he'd bring in Dave Smith - who had a really solid card - in like the third inning, and pitch him the rest of the game. We were outraged, as we tried to maintain a sense of reality in the game. The guy who only used four starters got ridicule. Now here was Obey bringing in his closer in the third inning of games...every game.

He was briefly booted out of our five-man league. Only when he agreed to give up Dave Smith was he allowed back in.

Incidentally, if anyone ever plays with those 87 cards, Tim Burke is literally unhittable, and if I remember can't allow a walk on his card. And his season wasn't that dominant, but his card was. My cousin played an entire 162 game season once and Burke converted all 84 saves.

Anyway, RIP Dave.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Another ex-Cubs closer

Jesus, be careful Kent Bottenfield.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Too bad. When I was in college, I had the chance to interview him for a story since he was an SDSU alum. Got to talk with him for about 45 minutes. Good guy, didn't take himself too seriously.

Hell, to see anyone die like that at 53 is sad. That's way too young these days.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

A solid closer. 53 is just too young.

RIP

9. Simon_Cowbell

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Smith had stories that would make that Brett video look like an account of a night of teetotaling by comparison.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I always believes in Strat-O-Karma. Pull crap like that, and your fireman (there were no closers) would tire and lose the game, usually on the hitter's card. Burke was great, but was that the year that no one could touch Mark Eichhorn? Kent Tekulve?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Gonna miss him. Had the REDDEST face I remember on a baseball player, and combined with his long blonde hair, he looked like he'd rather be surfing. But he was the MAN for the Astros for a lot of years.

That's three Astros pitchers dead now in the last few years.

RIP

12. Simon_Cowbell

Kile, Niekro, Smith?

Draft saved Draft deleted