1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Fay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Long-time Washington Capitals beat reporter for The Washington Times.

Battled throat cancer, lived long enough to hear he'd been this year's print inductee in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

RIP

2. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Just heard this sad news....Dave was one of a kind, and I'm so glad he was able to live to see his selection (although the induction won't come till November)...he could be caustic but he also had a huge heart of gold...he really cared about what he did...worked his way back to the beat after his throat/mouth surgeries would have derailed a lesser man...and never complained a bit...I will miss him...

here's the link to the Washington Times obit

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070718/NATION/107180097/1001

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

RIP, Dave. Covering the Caps could sometimes be an ordeal, but could that man handle it in spite of his illness. Again, RIP.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sad news indeed. Dave battled like hell. Despite all the treatments and surgeries, he was on the beat as much as he could be, enduring all the crazy winter travel.

Mr. Hickling is correct. Dave could appear very gruff at first blush, but he was always quick to share a quote or some information if you needed it. Dave was a good man.

5. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Dave was the best, a true pro -- and he'll be greatly missed.

The family passed this along this morning:

Memorial contributions may be made in David’s name to Hockey Fights Cancer, PO Box 5037, New York, NY 10185-5037 or Hockey’s All-Star Kids Foundation, National Hockey League, 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020. Canadian friends may send Memorial contributions to, Hockey Fights Cancer, P.O. Box 1282, Station B, Montreal, Quebec H3B 3K9

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One thing I noticed was that -- in the few opportunities I dealt with them -- the Capitals were extremely classy in dealing with him. Fay's questions were, at times, difficult to understand because of the damage to his throat.

But the coaches and players never gave him any trouble, and were very patient as he attempted to ask.

7. musicman

musicman Member

wish i had the pleasure of meeting dave. not to sully the thread, but was dave a dipper? i have concerns for my own health, where tobacco is concerned.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

9. ducibej

ducibej New Member

Not a dipper, but a heavy smoker for a long time. . . . I remember one of my first years on the Redskins we were all staying in the dorms in Carlisle, and I brought my dad up to look around. Knocked on Fay's door and he answered _ cigarette in one hand, bottle of Jack Daniels in the other, dressed in ONLY his briefs. Great guy once you got to know him.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Funny, I never found Dave gruff at all. He had a whiskey-and-smokes voice--maybe he sounded gruff. He was the absolute soul of decency to me from the time that I met him. Lots wouldn't give me the time of day when I parachuted into the beat, but Dave and I talked at the arena all the time. I dragged him to a junior game one time--never had been before. I should have made more of an effort to stay in touch. My regret and condolences.

YHS, etc

11. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

"Dr. Puck" was one of a kind. Always quick to offer a complimentary email to a writer half his age and always willing to talk hockey.

It really sucks that he couldn't make it until November and his induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted