1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Duerson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Love to know what it was like to cover that team. My NFL-following experience only dates back to the mid-70s but I cannot recall a team with as many oversized personalities and/or quotable players and coaches as the '85 Bears.

The mid-90s Cowboys might be close but I don't know if any single one of those teams had a list that matched this.

Ditka
    Ryan
    Payton
    McMahon
    Dent
    Hampton
    McMichael
    Singletary
    Perry
    Fencik
    Marshall

Hell, even Kevin Butler was a character.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There will be no "ploys" in the NFL CBA talks.

The owners are going to bust the NFLPA to bits and impose the settlement THEY want. They are going for unconditional victory. The players won't get shit.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This from the guy who thinks the same thing will happen the next time MLB has labor negotiations.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry. This is getting way off topic. There is a hell of a lot about Duerson worth discussing.

But really, you slept through the last 40 years or so of negotiations between the owners and players in MLB, didn't you?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What Starman means, oop, is that owners are white, and thus bad. They're all racists who are indenturing minorities.

6. I don't really have a problem with that.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

To get back to Duerson, the owners don't give a shit about brain injuries, and won't spend 10 cents doing anything about them.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Football is going to become boxing.

Poor minorities killing each other for our amusement.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

The NFL is way too powerful a corporate entity for this to ever happen. I know you said "football", not "NFL", but football won't turn into a marginal clown show like boxing. There's just too much money in it and it's too deeply rooted in the economies of, well, everybody.

That said, as much as I love, love, love football, I'm increasingly leaning toward encouraging my young nephews to pursue other sports, just for their own welfare. If I had heard somebody say that 10 years ago, my reaction would have been, "That's pussy." Not anymore.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seriously?

11. Yea. I am serious.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wow. A guy shot himself in the heart. Does anyone seriously think it was in any way related to the NFL labor talks??

Draft saved Draft deleted