1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Diles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Dec 28, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Long time Detroit sportscaster, used to do the scoreboard show back in the day when Bill Fleming was ABC's voice of college football.

Will never forget him at a roast of former U-M great Ron Kramer... it went something like...

People like Bob Talbert and J.P. McCarthy were true Michigan men. I don't mean University of Michigan, but Michigan State and Western Michigan and anything about the state. These men were true assets. And you pick this half-asset ....

Sports broadcaster Dave Diles dead at 78

BY STEVE NEAVLING
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Longtime local and national sports broadcaster, commentator and author Dave Diles died Sunday night at his Ohio home from complications of a recent stroke.

He was 78.

Diles was a mainstay of local sports for much of the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s when he worked for WXYZ radio and WXYZ-TV. He hosted the first sports talk show in Detroit called “Dial Dave Diles” and narrated numerous documentaries on local sports history.

Diles gained national fame when he worked for ABC Sports for part of the ’70s and ’80s, hosting Wide World of Sports and the Prudential College Football Scoreboard.

http://www.freep.com/article/20091228/NEWS08/91228024/1320/Sports-broadcaster-Dave-Diles-dead-at-78

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Dave was very, very good at what he did. I met him once at a bowl banquet and he seemed like a nice guy.

RIP.

3. He died at his home Athens.
    Years ago he used to a host a golf tournament in Mason W.Va and he would bring in some of the higher-profile college coaches of the day in - by helicopter - to play.
    The golf course, which is just a local muni, has pictures of Diles' events plastered all over the clubhouse walls.

He never forgot where he came from.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I loved the Prudential College Scoreboard and remember Dave well.
    Every Saturday afternoon you'd find William & Mary, Yale and VPI right there amongst the Oklahomas and Nebraskas of the footballdom world.
    RIP Mr. Dials.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I remember the Scoreboard well. One of my favorites every Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted