1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Brubeck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/dave-brubeck-worldwide-ambassador-of-jazz-dies-at-91/2012/12/05/a9fa70e4-3959-11e0-bb8c-90acdd319fdd_story.html?hpid=z1

Will have to break out some of his CDs tonight and listen

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Huge, huge loss to the jazz world. He was an innovator on two fronts, bringing jazz to the college campus (and thus, the younger crowd) and his quartet's innovative use of the time signature. Everything (mostly) was written in 3/4 or 4/4 until the mid 50s, when Brubeck began experimenting with 5/4, 9/8 and 11/4. It all came together with "Take Five."

Watch this clip from the pre-PBS show "Jazz Casual." Brubeck does a great job explaining to the host, the columnist Ralph Gleason, about using different time signatures.

My g/f surprised me tickets to see him two years ago, but he was coming off an illness and couldn't perform, so his son, Darius, sat in instead. It was a mirror image, both in playing and in looks.

Very sad today.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed some music on the new frontier. RIP to one of life's few true innovators.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am waiting for someone to start another thread on this because I'd love to see a DB about DB.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

RIP to a giant of American jazz.

Takin' the 'A' train:

From the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-dave-brubeck-appreciation-20121205,0,848294.story

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

"Take Five" comes as close to perfection as any piece of recorded music

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I always favored Blue Rondo a la Turk and Three to Get Ready ... always hear something new every time I listen. He's the reason I got into jazz in the late 70s, when someone at my junior college library recommended I listen to the Take Five album. Mesmerized every time.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I owned that on cassette and CD. The rest of the album is great, but the recording of Take Five is really unique.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Just noticed that he died one day before his birthday (which he shares with my Dad). A long, successful life.

Draft saved Draft deleted