1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Darryl Hamilton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Former Major League Baseball player and MLB Network analyst Darryl Hamilton has been found dead, along with one other, in a suburban home outside Houston.

The bodies of Hamilton, 50, and Monica Jordan, 44, were found about 4:45 p.m. Sunday inside the house in the 11500 block of Island Breeze, according to the Pearland Police Department.

MLB Network analyst, former player Darryl Hamilton among 2 dead in domestic shooting near Houston - Houston Chronicle

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sad story. Always a pretty well-regarded guy as far as I can recall.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Looks like she shot him, which is somewhat unusual in these cases.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

14-month-old child found alive on the premises. Poor kid.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In cases like these, I always think of Phil Hartman.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

On Father's Day, no less. Sheesh.

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

"Brazoria County District Attorney Jeri Yenne said Jordan – then Monica Jordan Richards – had pleaded guilty to felony arson in 2008 after burning down a Brazoria County house and garage where Jordan had been living with her now ex-husband.

Yenne said records indicated the dispute had begun over allegations of infidelity on her husband's part. Initial reports also indicated Jordan had chased him around the house, trying to throw gasoline on him. He was not injured, Yenne said."

Woman suspect in ex-MLB star Darryl Hamilton's death had previous arson charge - Houston Chronicle

So why was this woman not in prison?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Maybe she did time and was considered rehabilitated. Doesn't say what her sentence was, just that she pleaded guilty.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is really, really sad. I got to know Darryl first as a player but that continued through the years in his various other capacities with Advanced Media, MLB and the Network. My heart goes out to his kids.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hamilton was briefly married to Access Hollywood hostess Shaun Robinson. One of the stories I heard in the middle 90s went something like this: Apparently the Younts gave them a really nice crystal set for the wedding. The next year Robin Yount brings up to Hamilton that they never received any acknowledgement of the gift. Hamilton investigates and finds out that Robinson shipped all the wedding gifts to her mother's house. Not too long after that, she had left Hamilton and was seen in the Evander Holyfield entourage.

She was an anchor for the local ABC affiliate when Hamilton played for the Brewers. She was also a regular at Bucks games. She liked professional athletes.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

One of my childhood memories from old County Stadium was Hamilton hitting a Grand Slam in a 5-4 Brewers win. Always seemed like a personable and nice dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted