1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Darrell K Royal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Replaced Murray Warmath at Mississippi State. Wonder if Jack Cristil worked with both? Think he started in the early Fifties.

RIP Coach Royal.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have the TBI folks called for his brain yet.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That quote has been saddled on every ground-game coach who ever lived back to the introduction of the forward pass in 1905. Supposedly Army coach Charles Daly said it after losing to Notre Dame in 1913.

Now, back to Royal, he was definitely a coaching icon in the 60s-70s rivaling Bryant.

Texas football was good before him and has been good after him, but it was during his tenure the program was really at its peak.

4. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I like this little tribute they have planned, but I really, really like the photo at the top of this.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/11/7/3614360/texas-to-honor-darrell-royal-by-lining-up-in-the-wishbone

5. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

The wishbone tribute they have planed is a great thing, it will make for quite a powerful and emotional moment. Will be quite a surreal football atmosphere at DKR this weekend.

6. Boom_70

Had to go to You Tube and watch a bit of the bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FszLa0AhBxI&feature=related

Some pretty good highlights of '69 Arkansas / Texas

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Huston Street's dad James probably ran that bone about as well as anyone.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Saw a tweet from OU Associate AD Kenny Mossman earlier that pointed out that Royal still holds the OU record for longest punt return- 96 yards vs. Kansas State on October 16, 1948

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cristil's first year at MSU was 1953. Royal was there in 1954 and 55 as head coach, so yes.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hope Bill Little is doing ok today. I know they were pretty close.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Just FYI, it was Steve Worster, not Wooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Without question a football icon of my youth and the prototype for bruising wishbone fullbacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Boom_70

Mine too although I forgot the spelling of his name. Also liked watching Jerry Sisemore. He was a men among boys in that era. Also ended up having a pretty good career with The Eagles. He reached legendary status with me when I read a little blurb in the NY Post that Sisemore was pulled over by the police after allegedly drinking 50 cans of beer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted