1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Danny Ozark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 7, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great company man who was loyal to any organization that he served. He was a gem.
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/breaking/sports/Former_Phillies_manager_Danny_Ozark_dies.html

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

For some reason, when I was a kid, he represented the Phillies franchise to me more than any of the players. Probably because it seemed like every fifth or sixth package of Topps cards included his card:
    [​IMG]
    That, plus seeing him against the Cubs on WGN all the time. RIP.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dialogue from 1975 after a late September Phillies loss.

Reporters: Danny, how do you feel about being eliminated from the pennant race?
    Ozark: What do you mean eliminated? We're five games back with five to play.

Long pause.

Reporters: Uh, Danny, there are four games left.

Longer pause.

Ozark: That's very discouraging news.

A terrible manager and very nice man. RIP

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Danny responded to a question one time with a strange answer and looked at the bewildered faces in the room.

"Hey, I'm just being a fascist," he said.

More confusion.

The word he wanted was facetious.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bill Conlin has some excellent Wizard of Oz stories. His farewell to Ozark should be a great read.
    I give Ozark credit for one thing. He stuck with Mike Schmidt as a rookie. Schmidt hit .196 and the Phillies. He saw something that many others couldn't see at the time.

6. Smasher_Sloan

He saw Paul Owens telling him that Schmidt was going to play, no matter what he hit.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When he came back to L.A. as a coach, he got on Lasorda's bad side and Lasorda canned him. Most of the players didn't like Lasorda all that much and they were upset when Ozark got fired. That's usually what happened with the coaches got closer to the players than Lasorda.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Tommy was always paranoid about backstabbing since that was how he got Walter Alston out of the way.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

:D :D :D

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's rue. Also, the year before, the Phils had traded away their third baseman, Don Money, to create a space for Schmidt. Money hit .282 for the Milwaukee Brewers in '73 which made the trade look very bad. But after that season, the Phils picked up Dave Cash who encouraged Schmidt and the rest, as they say, is history.
    And yes, Tommy did backstab Walter Alson by getting close to players such as Dave Lopes, Ron Cey and Steve Garvey.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If I'm allowed to put in a request for more Danny Ozark malaprop stories, consider it done.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's impossible. Lasorda is cuddly and nice to everyone and he bleeds Dodger blue and that's how he got the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted