1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Danny Litwhiler, former player, college coach, inventor of JUGS gun,

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Died on Friday at age 95. Led an amazing life in baseball.

He played for several teams in the 1940s, including the sad-sack Phillies and the 1944 champion Cardinals. He set a record for going an entire season without making an error. He was traded to the Cardinals after knocking himself out to score a run at the plate while with the Phillies. Manager Billy Southworth was so impressed, he traded for him.

He later had a very successful career coaching at Michigan State and Florida State, guiding such stars as Steve Garvey and Kirk Gibson. He later invented the JUGS radar gun, plus a few other inventions.

This obit didn't mention one of his more important contributions:

But one of his more memorable moments came when he was traded to the Reds in 1948. Racial tensions were high in Cincinnati, so he was asked by management to pose for a picture with Jackie Robinson. He quickly agreed and posed for the picture, even though he caught flack with some teammates. Years later, Robinson came to Michigan State to speak, and Litwhiler had him autograph a print of the photo, which he hung up in his offices.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sounds like a life well-lived. RIP.
  3. X-Hack

X-Hack Active Member

He and his wife lived in the house right behind my best friend's house when I was a kid. Modest, unassuming house in East Lansing. And he was a modest unassuming guy. RIP
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Man, for a minute I thought the thread topic said JUGZ.
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you trying to tell us you need a night out w/the boys, 3Bags?
  6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ha! Maybe so.
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Amy Fisher's stripping on Long Island. Get your ass up here, you can crash on my couch! (Or hers, if things go well enough)
Draft saved Draft deleted