1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Danny Gans ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, May 1, 2009.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He was only 52. Never did see his show in Vegas.

Didn't know he also played two years of minor league baseball.

RIP

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/05/01/obit.gans/index.html?section=cnn_latest

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

RIP to the man whose billboards were the subject of many eye rolls on my trips to Vegas.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Danny Gans was in Bull Durham

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Saw his show twice. Very entertaining. Talented guy. He talked in the show about how he blew out his knee or something playing baseball and that's what pushed him toward show business.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This will hit Vegas like an earthquake. A lot of people were expecting Gans to become an even bigger entertainer over the next decade or so -- a lot of plans were in place for him.

Very surprising.

6. Shoeless Joe

did I miss it or do they not say the cause of death?
    52 year olds normally don't just keel over, and with him being a major celeb it's kind of important even if you just say illness.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, "Who?"

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nope, you didn't miss. I was curious about that, too, especially given his age.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Here's the AP story, which says he died in his sleep, but no further info on his death

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_en_ot/us_obit_danny_gans

10. Shoeless Joe

You speak for only those who haven't been in Vegas in the last dozen years or so

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That's a lot of people.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wow, very sad. Saw his show two years ago, thinking it couldn't live up to the hype...it surpassed everything I'd heard. The single best impersonator I've ever seen.

Sort of guessing the cause of death won't turn out to be a simple story, hope that's not the case.

And yes, he was one of the ballplayers in that infamous Bull Durham mound scene when they're discussing whether you need a live rooster to take the curse off the glove and what to get Milly for a wedding gift.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted