1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Danny Federici

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Apr 17, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was stunned when I heard the news this morning. It's a sad day on E Street (note to Ruth-Gehrig: It's E Street, NOT East Street). Danny's organ and keyboard playing will be missed.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

"From the churches to the jails"

In some ways, it makes the song.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I know that.

4. EStreetJoe

To see Danny really shine:

5. RIP to Flemington's finest.

What a sad day.

6. Don't suppose there's any chance for a return of David Sancious for a couple of gigs, is there? I know he's primarily a pianist, but he could double on organ, I would think.
    Cat can play.

7. that would be awesome. i'd love to see some sort of danny memorial/benefit gig. he certainly earned one...

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Doubtful. Charlie Giordano (from the Seger sessions band) has been filling in for Federici for most of the tour.

I suppose one-off guest shots are possible, but I doubt any major additions are in the offing.

9. EStreetJoe

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I never got the infatuation with Springsteen or how some people would see him eight nights in a row.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Was driving a good part of yesterday and didn't have web access except for an unpredictable blackberry. I was pleasently surprised how many Bruce songs I heard on the radio, but I had no idea about Danny until a friend in Miami e-mailed me to say how bummed she was about the cancellation of the concert there.

To me, Danny was in many ways the E Street Band. The organ and accordian rarely got their chance in the spotlight, but when they did, it takes you back to days on the beach or summer nights at some beer soaked club down the shore. I think that his talents had a better chance to shine in the pre-BTR band, when there was more of a jazzy improvisational feel to the group. But songs like Sandy, Kitty's Back and Racing in the Street showed you what a great musician he was.

Part of me feels like a vulture for wondering what the band is going to do the first night back.

RIP, Phantom.

12. EStreetJoe

Have you ever seen him live - attended one of his concerts with the E Street Band?
    If you have and you don't get it, I'll respect your opinion although I disagree with it.
    If you haven't. Go to one show and see if your opinion changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted