1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Danny Federici

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

I heard that Danny Federici died, and I looked on youtube.com for as many videos of the East Street Band's performances where he most prominent.
    I also included some of the earlier, less-known efforts which were the best that the East Street Band produced.
    Federici, Springsteen and the East Street Band depicted the lives of many a young person on the East Coast during the late 60s to mid 80s. It's always puzzled me why people on the West Coast didn't embrace the Band like those on East, although there were many from beyond the East who somehow established a connection somehow or other.
    Of course, I didn't include Born To Run or Thunder Road because they are way too well know, even though they are great songs.

Danny's farewell

Danny plays Sandy

This next link is the one where he was the most dominant out of the videos I searched. It was excellent. I saw Danny do this Racing In The Street six times during The River Tour. Twice at The Garden, twice at The Meadowlands and twice at The Coliseum. Mind you, the next link was prior to The River Tour.

Racing In The Street

Meeting Across The River

She's The One

Jungleland

I tossed in some of his earlier stuff prior to Born to Run
    Incident On 57th Street

Sandy sometime in the mid 70s.

Thanks for the memories, but the heart and soul of your music will always live.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The piano piece in the intro may be my favorite keyboard work in any song for me.

And, really, that is saying a whole lot.

3. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Simon:
    The incredible thing is, is that for an East Street Band purist, it's hard to distinguish among all the incredible pieces that Danny was involved in.

Because, I'll tell you the Band had quite a few incredible solo wrinkles from many of the songs from its first four albums.
    Another words, when Bruce was touring during Born To Run, the notes weren't too far from the studio versions during many of the Bands' efforts.

By the time The River Tour came around, it was incredible. Just about every band member had a major solo.
    The songs were stretched out, the band members' instrumental talents were on display, and it was done to a tee.

Ahh, I can't even begin to describe how honored I was to be there.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

RIP to a son of New Jersey.

Anyone have any idea what he's talking about here?

"Bruce has been supportive throughout my life," Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. "I've had my ups and downs, and I've certainly given him a run for his money, and he's always been there for me."

Not looking for salacious gossip; it's just the bio details so far have been pretty thin.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

rip, danny. :'( :'( :'(

the first show post-funeral will be emotional, i expect, like when bruce and the boys played philly the day after john lennon was murdered. i believe they opened with "twist and shout," as tears streamed down stevie's face,

oh, and not to nitpick, 'cause the list of videos above are great. but "racing in the street" and "jungleland" are showcases for piano maestro roy bittan, not organ/accordion master danny.

roy's piano playing is superb. makes me wish i could play. i also contend some piano used as background music in "pretty woman" was lifted from "racin' in the street." listen for it next time you watch.

EDIT: JUST WATCHED THE LINK. DANNY, TOO, IS INDEED FEATURED SOME IN "RITS." BUT IT IS ROY'S TIME IN THE SUN TO BEGIN AND END. BEAUTIFUL.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RIP Danny.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have a (poor quality) bootleg of that Philly show. After Bruce's intro ("If it wasn't for John Lennon a lot of us would be some place different tonight....") they open with "Born To Run". "Twist And Shout" closes the show.

RIP to the Phantom. It's a dark day on E Street.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks for the update. so was steve crying during "btr" or "t & s" or both?

as for a previous question, i believe a bitter danny sort of ripped bruce when springsteen broke up the e street boys in the early '90's. danny had to get back into the good graces after that.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tough to tell on the boot, which, as I mentioned, is a poor audio one. I remember a Rolling Stone cover story done on Bruce at that time that mentioned that Steve was adamant about cancelling the show.

10. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Thanks for correcting me Schockey:
    I was searching for Danny's early East Street brilliance on youtube.com, and it wasn't easy finding suitable stuff, so your correction is welcome as Bittan's pieces were the ones on display during The River Tour.
    I'm sure whatever was played on those links, Danny had something to do with them somewhere or another.
    Hopefully, others took the time to click on the links, which displayed the Bands' brilliance.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

again, that was roy. danny was mighty fine, too, don't get me wrong, but i just prefer the piano sound to organ sounds.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did Federici play the accordion on Wild Billy's Circus Story? One of my favorites I prayed to hear live.

Draft saved Draft deleted