1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Daniel Schorr

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boomer7, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Did commentary for "All Things Considered" into his 90s -- talk about a journalist with experience.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/128565997

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I didn't always agree with his views but enjoyed his style and appreciated his dedication.

The guy covered everything from Capt. John Smith's arrival and romance to recent politics. He'd seen and reported on a lot.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Heard a long profile of him once on NPR. Best part was him talking about reading the Nixon enemies list on air and coming across his own name.

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Any enemy of Nixon's was a friend of mine. He paid a high price for the type of reporting he did. I was glad he got the late bounce-back in his career through NPR.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Schorr was a delight to listen to on Weekend Edition. Didn't matter if I agreed with it or not, his insight on the news was informative and worth it.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I heard that this afternoon when I was on the road to a game. Great life, great journalist. RIP to one of the giants of our field.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Was also in RoboCop.
    When I was 16, I went on a school trip to DC and we went to some CSPAN show where Schorr was on as a guest. The host took questions from the crowd - all high school students - and I got up and asked about advice for future journalists. Cannot for the life of me remember what he said, but I thought it was pretty cool that I got to ask him a question.
    Plus, like I said, he was in RoboCop.

Draft saved Draft deleted