1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dana Kirk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 15, 2010.

1. AD

AD Active Member

sorry: baskerville

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Kirk was 74. Yeah Dana had some strange ways but the guy knew how to coach and knew how to recruit. Made a few dumb mistakes but so does everyone. Like Moddy said, he was interesting.

3. Dana put VCU on the basketball map back in the day, which was no small accomplishment then. No question, he could recruit and coach. But a very strange guy.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Has enough time passed yet?

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Not yet. I'm anxious to read it, but Moddy is the boss. We can wait a few more days!

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got to know Dana fairly well when he was at VCU. I was SE of the student paper for a year and a half earlier in my college days. I gave that up to work part-time at the daily paper but stayed on staff as a writer. Actually won some college newspaper writing award for a profile I did on him. Through all that, I had no idea if he was married - then or later.
    I do know he had a rep of being something of a player and there was a rumor - emphasis on rumor - that he was carrying on regularly at lunch with a female student at the home of a wealthy booster who lived in the historic neighborhood next to campus. That daliance led to this great rumor, emphasis on rumor.

Dana's buddy goes home over the long holiday break but the antics resume when she returns in January. Dana calls the booster and says, "Damn, the place looks great. Looks like you remodeled every room. I really like the new furniture."

Booster goes oh shit. "Uh, Dana. We don't live there anymore. We moved right after Christmas." Private sale, never got listed, no signs.

Knowing Dana, if he'd been caught by the new owners he would have ended up laughing with them, having a drink or two and selling them season tickets before he left the house.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nice story.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent.

9. Dana used to wear these ugly-looking leisure suits on the bench (hey, it was the '70s), and I remember him walking down past the scorers table to berate the refs in one game. Somebody on the opposing bench called out, "Nice suit, Dana," and he whirled around, ready to mix it up right then and there.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Kind of like a Boy Named Sue?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I don't remember the specifics, but Kirk brought Memphis to L.A. for the Winston Tire Classic. He demanded expenses and an "appearance" fee for the pre-tournament news conference, in which he said pretty much nothing.
    I also remember reading that he got a local Coca-Cola distributor to donate sodas for his youth summer camp. Then he charged the campers for the drinks.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One of things that got him into the hoosegow was not reporting that Winston Tire money.

Draft saved Draft deleted