1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dana Kirk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nothing about either Hattiesburg or Blacksburg screams "Metro" at me.

All the Metro schools played football yet were mostly (if not all) independent in the 1980s, which puzzled me. The ones that stayed eventually formed the nucleus of C-USA.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He always banked it in, right?

20-footers intentionally off the glass

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

RIP to a very, um, interesting guy. Coached at VCU my last couple of years as a student there. As good a coach in-game as I've seen.

After a proper mourning period, I'll share the funniest Dana story I ever heard.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I'm sure they were paid handsomely the night I saw Keith Lee & Co. lose against a marginal Detroit team at Calihan Hall. The Titans kept hitting outside jumpers and Memphis wouldn't defend the outside shooters. A simple hand in their face would have stopped Detroit cold.

That's the first time I felt like I watched a game that was thrown.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Had the Metro sponsored football before schools started leaving, you'd have the foundation of a pretty good league: Florida State, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane and Southern Miss. Figure they'd add a couple of teams from the Southwest Conference implosion (Houston and TCU?), maybe UAB and South Florida when they got their programs going, and there we are.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy weeps at this post.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Perhaps not. Because if the Metro offers football and everyone stays, it might short circuit the development of the Great Midwest. Memphis and Cincinnati don't leave, and UAB doesn't jump from the Sun Belt, which perhaps remains intact (figuring UAB and South Florida leave when they start football). Then maybe they grab a couple of decent basketball schools and turn into a pretty decent basketball league. Or at least better that than a bottom-of-the-barrel FBS and one-bid NCAA league.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

He probably lied about his age, too.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Supposedly, most of the old Metro schools wanted to add football except Louisville, specifically Denny Crum. He felt it would deflect attention from his program, which at the time was the king of the hill in the Metro. Don't know for sure, but it may have had something to do with a fair amount of antipathy between Crum and Howard Schnellenberger, who was coaching U of L in football back then.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They'll have to screw Mr. Kirk into the ground.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think Florida State still leaves for the ACC and South Carolina still bolts for the SEC, so for the most part, C-USA would get created years before C-USA got created.

12. AD

AD Active Member

didn't basketville holmes play with doom haynes? if so, best name combo ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted