1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Roundfield

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Nice dig, Dev.

Many recognizable figures, in uniform and out. Questions, though. Is that Tree holding the ball? Pretty sure that's big Sam to his left. Little Charlie to Roundfield's right. The Czar on extreme left front. Hubie and Brendan Suhr far right.

Back row, left to right: Ted, of course, but I don't know who is between him and Hawes. My best hunches across the rest of the line: Furlow, Hill, JD, Goose Givens, No. 50, don't know (John Brown, perhaps?). Joe O'Toole and Stan Kasten.

Wow. That's going back a long time. Fond memories.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Drip

Drip Active Member

You did extremely well. Be proud.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm guessing we're pretty close in age based on past posts so you probably remember when Turner put the Braves, Hawks, to a lesser extent, the Flames, the NASL Chiefs, and Falcons preseason games on his baby superstation.

Hog heaven for a kid who loved sports.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Those were great times. Hey, remember when Turner thought he was bright enough to manage the Braves?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sad to hear. Spent quite a few nights of my childhood in The Omni. Can still remember the dark corridors and the wild patchwork of seat colors.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

My favorite Omni moment was getting hit in the eye with a penny at a Toughman competition and watching a drunken yahoo dropping a guy with a flying drop kick during a fight in the stands. Another one is watching the late James Broad clock favored Marvis Frazier in the Olympic trials.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would expect Dusty Rhodes and Gordon Solie to be involved in any Omni story.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Gordon Solie! Another outstanding pull, Dev.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The Omni was quite fascinating to me, too. I was devastated when it lost the Flames as a tenant. I was a kid and didn't understand nor care about the business side. It hurt to lose the team.

The late actor Glenn Ford made a last-ditch effort to keep the franchise in Atlanta, but Cousins took the Skalbania group's better offer.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Lake is a pretty good story teller.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/thomas_lake/08/17/danny-roundfield/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

That was a terrific piece.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Roundfield had game. I love the story about Wilt holding him up.

Draft saved Draft deleted