1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Roundfield

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-hawks-star-roundfield-drowns-175621375--nba.html

A pretty tough player in his day.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very saddened by this one. RIP
    http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/08/07/atlanta-hawks-report-former-hawks-all-star-dan-roundfield-drowns-in-aruba/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good player. RIP.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dang, I remember him. Well, guess it's not wise to go swimming in the ocean whenthe current is rough.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, loved his toughness. Could really board.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This weekend, there was a prominent pediatric surgeon in Chicago who drowned because he got caught in a rip current after saving the lives of two boys who got knocked out of their kayaks in Lake Michigan. He was one of three who drowned in southwest Michigan over the weekend.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/14285293-418/pediatric-surgeon-who-drowned-to-be-buried-wearing-his-surgical-scrubs.html

Two things to remember about rip currents and drowning:

1. If you're caught in a rip current, swim parallel to shore until you're out of the current, then swim at an angle toward shore. That's your best hope of survival.

2. People who drown don't thrash around like in the movies. They go very quietly. They don't have the energy to thrash.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

We were on the SF coastline this weekend at the foot of the GG bridge and my wife was reminding the boys that if for some reason they were swept out, do exactly that, go parallel until calmer then try to get back to shore. Don't fight and thrash and waste your energy.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

I watched him a lot of TBS when the Knicks were not on WOR.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Roundfield and Paul Silas were two guys who made rebounding an art. Absolutely masters at boxing out getting position, good hands in the air. They had fundamentals you don't see much any more.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm with Drip on this news because I was big fan of Hubie's Hawks. Hill, Hawes, Fast Eddie, Tree, JD, McMillen, the immortal Sam Pellom.

Roundfield's spin move in the mid-to-low post is one of things I remember about him the most as well as, as Hondo noted, his work on the glass.

RIP.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

His spin move was like Akeem's dream shake.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted