1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Pires

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Man, this job claims a lot of 50-somethings.

In the last week,

Tim Russert, 58,
    Rick Murray (Trentonian), 58
    Dan Pires, 52

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Between veteran journalists dying and newspapers laying off 15+ percent of their newsroom, seems like a bad time to be in the industry. :(

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'll say, Jay. Ten years ago, you little turds thought you would get our jobs when we croaked. Well, the joke's on you! (Right after it's on us).

But I don't mean to make light of the death of Dan Pires, who was exactly my age. Very sorry to hear of his death.

5. This is such a bummer. I was a Pats beat guy in the mid-to-late 90s starting just before Danny did. He was a sweet guy, always had a handshake and a story for everybody. Just a genuine nice man. He thought the world of his kids and talked of them with much love.
    I lost touch with Danny after leaving my job, having seen him just once since and for a brief moment. I totally regret it. Should serve as a lesson to all of us.
    Godspeed Danny. Much strength to your family.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know the guy, but it's awful that someone so young died.

Hope his blood family, extended family and newsroom family can find peace and solace in this difficult time.

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Danny was a great reporter and an even better guy. Always took the time to say hello, and had a terrific sense of humor. Proud to call him a colleague. Foxborough won't be the same without him.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Two deaths in 15 months on the Pats beat. Sad stuff.

RIP.

9. Marsellus Wallace

Marsellus Wallace New Member

There's no way to capture the spirit of Dan Pires through written word. He was a tremendously colorful personality who truly brightened the room every time he was present. There are a few people you genuinely look forward to seeing every single day in Foxborough, and Dan was one of them -- not just his friends or acquaintances, but everyone -- even if it was for 10 seconds to say hi and shake his hand or 10 minutes over pizza to listen to him run through any one of his impromptu comedy routines. It was impossible to leave Dan without a smile on your face and a positive thought in your mind. That's all because of him. I can say with the utmost confidence that everyone who knew Dan enjoyed his company. It's all too unfortunate how many "RIP" threads there have been on this board recently, but I hope this one stands out among the crowd.

Because Dan Pires always did.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Marsellus: That's a wonderful tribute. Makes me wish I had had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Pires.

RIP

11. blueview

blueview Member

I was shocked to find this out. On a beat that has its share of good people, Dan Pires was definitely one of them. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted