1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Foster

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 22, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got a call informing me Dan Foster, a long-time columnist in Greenville, S.C., died today. Not sure of his age, he was in his 80s. Had been dealing with several ailments. Funeral is Sunday.
    Don't know much more, don't have a link yet. Didn't know him well at all. Was always very gracious the few times I did interact with him.

RIP Mr. Foster

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Found this link:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090522/NEWS01/90522002

3. Dan Foster was a good guy, very respected among the ACC writers. RIP, Dan.

4. Dan was a great person. Had a huge impact on a lot of people I know. Best wishes to his family.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Not many of these guys you can say you loved, but Dan was one of 'em. From the minute I met him, he treated me like his best friend. Golf at Chanticleer (a 5 before old age arrive), my share-the-notes neighbor in the (always)aux boxes at World Series and Super Bowl. Classic wit. After leaving the Washington Post for the AJC, I shared a bus with Dan somewhere and made some wiseass remark. He said, "I liked you better when you were in the big time." Went to Jim Murray's LA house one time, saw a wall covered, every inch of it, with plaques, awards, certificates to the great man's achievements. Dan said, "I'd do that at home, 'cept I don't have a wall small enough."

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

dan was wry and sardonic.

when he said 'good morning' it came out wry and sardonic.

r.i.p.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Little known fact, but he played a big part in getting Jesse Jackson a football scholarship. Jackson was always in his debt for that.

8. gordon edes

gordon edes New Member

I met Dan in pre-Internet days, so I can't say I ever read his stuff. But watching him squire Jim Murray around big events, and more than holding his own in the repartee with Jim and Eddie Pope and Blackie Sherrod and Mr. Kindred, I felt like I was getting a glimpse of a special era and a special group of lifelong friends. The stories they all could tell, and frequently did. It was a joy to eavesdrop on history.

9. 'Lived outside of Greenville, SC in the late '80s/early '90s and read Dan Foster's columns every morning. He WAS The Greenville News to us. Hate to hear about this. Always read his material on Clemson.

10. I am sorry it has taken me so long to find out about this, but I wanted to chime in with my two cents about the passing of Dan Foster. Dan sat next to me in the press box at Bank of America (nee Ericksson) Stadium for Carolina Panthers home games for about the first 8-10 years of the team's existence and we became good friends. He had a habit of listening to the games on the radio and then repeating everything the announcers were saying to anyone within earshot. It was annoying, but he meant well. I'm really not sure what kind of writer he was, because I didn't read much of his stuff, but I'll tell you this ... Dan Foster was a sweet man who loved what he did and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. He'll be missed.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yep, a good guy. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted