1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Cook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jul 4, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

He was a legend in the Southwest as a columnist in San Antonio.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA.dancook.35e7cb48.html

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It is difficult to overstate how popular this guy was in South Texas, as both a columnist and a broadcaster. The word "legend" is thrown around all too often ... but in this case it's apropos.

RIP, Mr. Cook.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

There are a million stories about Cook, including one where he solved a notorious crime back in the 50s, I think, that had the FBI baffled, and even captured the criminal. I wish I could remember the details.

Anyway, he was a classic, old-school, Front-Page throwback, and a tough son of a bitch. As I recall, when he was in his 60s he owned a bar in San Antonio for awhile and served as his own bouncer, and literally threw out his share of troublemakers. You didn't fuck with Dan Cook.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Express-News has an all-sports high school competition each year (points for playoff wins, etc.) that it calls the Dan Cook Cup. One of the local TV stations, KENS (for Express-News Service) was in the E-N building for years so Cook could do the TV reports as well as write columns.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If a movie was to be made about Dan Cook and if Lee Marvin were still alive, Lee Marvin would be the right choice to play Dan Cook.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I got to edit Dan's last column and it was a privelege. He was always worth reading. He, Blackie Sherrod and Dan Jenkins were the holy trinity of Texas sportswriting when they were all active. It was a happy time.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dan Cook invented sports in San Antonio, years before the Spurs came along.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

sounds like my kinda guy

RIP

9. cvincent40

cvincent40 New Member

I had the privilege of working with Dan at the San Antonio Express-News a from 1963 until 1969 when I was a very young sportswriter. He made the distinction that the staff worked "with" him and not for him. He was a major factor in influencing me professionally and to some extent personally, though I could never keep up with his lifestyle. We spent many a night at the old San Antonio Press Club on the river, drinking, playing cards and just having a ball. We spent a lot of time, too, at the old "after hours" places in downtown SA, the Commanders Room and the Navy Club. Unfortunately, we did not see a lot of each other as the years passed but I will make the drive to San Antonio on Monday for the visitation. When folks die, a lot of things are said and some of them are even true, of Dan no one who knew him will ever doubt that he was one-of-a-kind . . . he lived 81 years and every one of them he truly lived to their fullest.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This thread has made me wish very much I had known Dan Cook. Those of you who wished to pay tribute to his life are doing a damn fine job.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

he sounds like someone out of a runyon story.
    almost mythical.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Some good Cook stories in this column:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA070508.1C.dancook.robinson.39e861c.html

Draft saved Draft deleted