1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cynthia Powell (Lennon)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Interesting quote she gave on their split.

"But I did not want to go down the road John was going ... I had nothing to escape. I wasn't looking for anything else. I wasn't searching in my mind for new experiences on a mental state."

Sure sounds like John had gotten into the mind-altering drug scene so prevalent in the late 60s and she wasn't going along for the ride.

3. Starman

It's pretty extensively documented that Cynthia was more of the middle-class housewife type who never really adjusted to the Beatles' hurricane existence.
    When the John-Yoko association moved from an artsy-fartsy avant-garde dalliance to a full fledged sexual affair, that was it for Cynthia -- the way it would be for 90+ percent of people everywhere.
    John generally admitted his breakup with Cynthia was due to his own bad actions.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's much too late for goodbyes.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember reading about how Julian got almost nothing after John died. It all went to Yoko and Sean because he didn't have a proper will. Who really does at age 40?

I've heard Julian interviewed a few times and he seemed like he was pretty well-adjusted all things considered, but Sean has always seemed like a colossal douche.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Their union was doomed to fail. John knocked her up in 1962. A (whatever the Brit term for "shotgun wedding" is) ensued, according to "The Love You Make," a biography of the band by former manager Peter Brown. Julian's birth coincided with the band's rise to fame, while John -- whose conquests included Joan Baez and dozens of nameless groupies -- was hardly faithful to his new bride.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. Starman

Probably, but not necessarily. I knew several couples in similar shotgun-wedding circumstances in their early 20s, of which, one, OR BOTH, partners screwed around like alley cats until they were about 30, who eventually settled down and stayed married for the long haul (sometimes having more kids). So you never really know.

Of course, most young-20s husbands don't have 24/7/365 access to world-class sweet stuff like John Lennon did. If he hadn't gotten snared by artsy-intellectual Yoko, he'd have probably gone off the deep end over Raquel Welch or somebody like that.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

ABC News obviously doesn't have any copy editors.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What’s that? Ah — Copy Editors? Don’t talk about — Copy Editors! You kidding me? Copy editors? I just hope we can edit a game! Another game.

Draft saved Draft deleted