1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP creator of the Philly cheesesteak

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/forums/2/ Harry Olivieri, who with his brother Pat was credited with inventing the Philly cheesesteak in 1933, had died. He was 90. ... Tired of hot dogs, Pat suggested that Harry go to a store and buy some beef. Harry brought it back, sliced it up and grilled it with some onions. The brothers piled the meat on rolls and were about to dig in when a cab driver arrived for lunch, smelled the meat and onions and demanded one of the sandwiches. Harry sold the cabbie his own sandwich in a transaction the brothers counted as the birth of Pat's King of Steaks. Cheese Wiz was added to the steak and onions starting in the 1960s

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but the sandwich didn't reach fruition until Hardees started selling it with a hamburger patty in 2006 [​IMG]

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Just looking at that picture rasies my cholesterol 25 points.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Can't believe it took 27 years for them to put cheese on the sandwich. What was it called before then, a Philly steak sandwich?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even better. Cheese Wiz!

Brilliant!!

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i like me a good cheesesteak sammy. can't get 'em down here in miami. plenty of sports bar type places and burger joints put a cheesesteak on the menu, but it's never done right. it just comes out being a grilled beef sandwich with onions and cheese -- not a philly cheesesteak.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Pat's -- good stuff. Every time that I hit Philly, I make a stop.

In fact, I would love a couple of wiz wits for dinner.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

I lived at Pat's when APSE was in Philly in 2004.
    The idea of getting one at 3 a.m. after a night of drinking still brings a smile to my face.
    There's supposed to be something about this on ABC news at 6:30 (EDT).

9. lono

lono Active Member

The flag at the Bogie household is at half staff. :(

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the link for our "Start new thread" function? :D

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It just 'cheesesteak.'
    RIP Harry, you beautiful genius.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For the record, Pat's is better than Geno's.
    (But Jim's on South Street is my favorite.)

Draft saved Draft deleted