1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Craig Schmidt - aka Frank Ridgeway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

For all Frank's chatter about Brooks Brothers and style, he usually tucked that shirt into a pair of Harbaugh khakis, every night for the 10 years or so we worked in the same newsroom. Frank didn't necessarily always dress like a million bucks but he appreciated a well-made shirt and a solid pair of shoes.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Memorial was very nice, big crowd and his wife was a rock. Not sure I would have been able to show her strength

HC, Riptide, rico_the_redneck and 4 others like this.
  3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

This saddens me. He was way too young.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I saw on Facebook that Craig died but never realized he was Frank. Our only interaction was nine years ago when I was planning the honeymoon for Mrs. Fear and myself to San Diego and he recommended a place on the travel thread. We had a great time and I messaged him thanking for the suggestion. That was just one of the many tips he passed along here thanks to his posts.

I'm think I'm going to listen to the Eddie and the Cruisers soundtrack tonight.

Rest in peace, Frank.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Saw the thread title last week and I've been sad the past week. Our board is a lot darker with him gone. Whenever I saw his name next to a post, I paid extra attention. RIP to a board Hall of Famer.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not to get dark in here, but how many regular board posters have died?

Off the top of my head: Frank, spnited, SF Express, Overrated, Tripp McNeely, editorhoo ... seems like there's at least one more I'm missing. And of course there's probably posters who disappeared when they died, but we never knew.

A college sports message board I visit has a "retired jersey" section for regular posters who died. Jerseys Retired - CSNbbs. I wonder if something like that wouldn't be appropriate here.

franticscribe, expendable, HC and 2 others like this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Shockey, too.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There are certain people on here where, you see their screenname and you have to read their shit. Regardless of the topic. And if they've posted multiple paragraphs - meaning they've told a story - then it was basically appointment reading. spnited was like that and so was Craig. Sad to hear about this, especially at such a young age.

Vombatus and ChrisLong like this.
  9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I tried to get him to inverview at my paper a few years ago, and he would have been a helluva asset. I am the anti-Ridgeway, fashion-wise, but I respect his desire to look like a grownup when walking into a newsroom can feel like a Phish mosh pit. R.I.P. to a true professional who always classed up the joint.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow, I just saw this. Stunned. He was one of my favorite posters and like several others here, I also corresponded with him after his layoff and he sent me a very nice reply, which of course did not surprise me. One of our best. RIP to a friend I unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

I never met Craig except through Facebook, where we connected and had some great conversations -- and occasional polite debates -- on sports, the industry, media in general, politics, music. He was a highly intelligent man with diverse knowledge and interests, and just as here, you could tell he loved his craft.

RIP my friend. My week is not as interesting without the irritated editor grievances ...

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted