1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

But they pass themselves off as journalists to avoid getting releases from people shown being arrested. Any journalist worth their salt is not destroying a news worthy video. A black man dying in custody seems worthy. Saying they aren't law enforcement is a cheap copout.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My favorite "Cops" was one where the cop stopped an obvious DUI at ten in the morning. Battered old pickup truck, weaving back and forth at 25 mph. He stops the guy, they discuss his "couple of beers", and then out of the blue the officer says "What about weed? Do you have any marijuana on you?"

"Weed? Oh, no sir!"

"You're sure? If I search the truck I won't find anything?"

"Well... there might be a couple of little roaches in the ashtray."

"Um hum. I just wondered" and the cop reaches up and plucks a joint from behind the guy's ear. His face was priceless.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, it's really not a cheap copout.

"Live PD" had no future use for that video. It deletes all video when a case is over. And most importantly, no one ever asked for the video. If anyone on either side bothers to subpoena that video, we're not having this discussion.

I'm not saying they were right to delete it... but I absolutely understand why they did, and think the criticism is overblown.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Fair enough maybe cheap copout isn't the right term. I'll say it is mighty convenient they proport to be journalists when they video people getting hauled in by police but they throw those labels away in this case.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except they're not throwing the label away.

They had no further use for the video. No one asked for the video. They deleted the video, as they do with all video.

I'd be curious to see the agreements they have with the departments they cover. I'm fine with calling what they do journalism, but I'd like to know just how compromised they are in those agreements.

Draft saved Draft deleted