1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Conchata Ferrell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Oct 13, 2020.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Best-known for her role as Berta in "Two and a Half Men" (in which she shined), but an actress who had constantly popped up on TV in various shows ever since I was a kid.

Emmy Nominee Conchata Ferrell, aka Two and a Half Men's Berta, Dead at 77

I actually remember her first role (though I saw it in a rerun) in "Maude" as a lady who was interviewing for the maid's position in Esther Rolle's farewell episode before going to star in "Good Times."

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I looked forward to any scene with Berta, Jane Lynch as the shrink or Martin Mull as the pharmacist.

matt_garth likes this.
  3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I'll always recall her small role in "Network," in which she suggests -- in jest -- that a reality show focused on a group of militant revolutionaries be called "The Mao Tse-Tung Hour." Ultimately, that name stuck.

Liut likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

She was great as Bubba's nemesis on Frank's Place.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

She was always terrific. RIP

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of those actresses who always shined - glad she finally made some serious cash with Two and a Half Men (regardless of the quality of the show). But there are a number of actors like that you think of as being wasted on a long-running middle-brow show that runs for years when you've seen them kill it on a short-lived and much better series. CCH Pounder who was amazing in The Shield has been on NCIS New Orleans since the debut.
    And then you have the cast of FNL.

Gutter likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't she in the later years of LA Law too? I'm too lazy to check her bio.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yes. Susan Bloom.

I first remember her from the short-lived comedy E/R, starring Elliott Gould and Mary McDonnell ... and featuring the first appearance of a young George Clooney in a recurring role.

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted