1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Col. Reb?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 23, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I get it.

"Raven' mad."

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pick nits. But this is a bad one to pick. Like Albert said above, they've been to a New Year's Day Bowl two years in a row. IIRC, they won nine games this year and eight or nine the year before.
    Historically, they've been bad to mediocre. The last two years they've been good, even if they didn't live up to the preseason ranking this season.
    Since you're posting on a sports journalism board, I figured you'd know that ;)

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree. I didn't realize the sentiment up there was THAT strong to break from the old tradition. I figured it'd be closer to a 50-50 vote.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Am I supposed to be impressed with the current version? He looks like a sickly, four-pack a day smoker who only got the title Col. because of his connections. And instead of mounting up for Shiloh was on his porch sipping a toddy.
    I'd hope Ole Miss could do better than this. Hell, I'd just go with a horse.

Though I agree when your school's identity is shaped by being on the losing end of a war and the civil rights movement, it's hard to avoid the obvious.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, if Colonel Reb was a plantation owner, you'd be closer to correct than you are now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Reb

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So why is Colonel Reb never depicted as a blind black guy?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If Colonel Reb was a tribute to Jim Ivy why does the mascot have white skin?

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I don't know.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My biggest beef with a mascot like this (political attitudes aside), or those featuring other southern figures, is that the grunt soldiers, those who did the actual fighting that made "Rebel" a figure that schools wanted to name their teams after (like Spartans, Trojans etc.) are never depicted. It would be like naming a team after U.S. soldiers and using the picture of a CEO of Halliburton or Lockheed as the mascot.

10. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Don't use Admiral Ackbar, Ole Miss! It's a trap!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Plus, the story said they weren't always called the Rebels.
    According to the AP story, "The Mississippi state flag, with its Confederate battle emblem, is still flown and the team nickname remains the Rebels, adopted in 1936 after a group of sportswriters voted to replace the Flood."

So they might as well change it again. Big deal.

For the record, outside of the college, Oxford was one of the most racist Mississippi towns I've ever lived in.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

One of our local high schools - where I graduated - is the Rebels. Back in the day on the gym wall we had a very well done painting on the gym wall of a Confederate soldier with a battle flag in one hand and a rifle in the other and the slogan "Home of the Rebels." It got painted over about 10 years ago and replaced with a Col. Rebel lookalike in a bow to political correctness. It still pisses me off.

Draft saved Draft deleted